Owning an RV opens up a world of adventure and travel possibilities. However, it’s important to protect your RV’s electrical system from unexpected power surges that can cause irreversible damage. That’s where RV surge protectors come into play.
Let’s find out what a surge protector is, explore the best RV surge protectors available, discuss key features to consider, provide installation instructions, and share tips for maintenance.
What is A RV Surge Protector?
A RV surge protector, also known as a surge suppressor, is an electrical device designed to protect your valuable electronics and appliances from power surges.
A power surge occurs when there is a sudden and brief increase in electrical voltage in the power supply. This increase can happen due to lightning strikes, power grid fluctuations, or even when high-powered appliances like air conditioners or refrigerators cycle on and off.
The role of a surge protector is to detect excessive voltage and divert it away from your devices, thus preventing them from being damaged. It acts as a barrier between your electronic equipment and the unpredictable fluctuations in the power supply.
Surge protectors come in various forms, including power strips with built-in surge protection, dedicated surge protector units, and even surge protection modules that can be installed directly into electrical panels. They typically feature multiple outlets, allowing you to connect multiple devices simultaneously.
We are going to concentrate on portable RV surge protectors in this post.
Look for surge protectors that are certified and tested by recognized safety organizations to ensure their reliability.
It’s recommended to properly maintain your surge protector, and replace surge protectors every few years to ensure optimal protection.
Key Features To Consider When Choosing A 30 or 50-Amp Surge Protector
- Voltage Protection: Look for a surge protector that offers comprehensive voltage protection, including over-voltage, under-voltage, and miswired pedestal detection. This ensures your RV’s electrical system is shielded from various electrical issues.
- Choose a surge protector that matches your specific needs and the electrical capacity of your RV.
- Surge Suppression Rating: A higher surge suppression rating indicates better protection against power surges. Aim for a surge protector with a rating of at least 3,000 joules for optimal safety.
- Weatherproofing: Since RVs often face outdoor elements, it’s crucial to choose a surge protector that is weatherproof and can withstand harsh conditions. Look for surge protectors with durable construction, such as a robust casing and sealed outlets, to ensure reliable performance in any weather.
Top 10 RV Surge Protectors For Ultimate Protection
30-Amp Surge Protectors
- Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X: This surge protector offers robust surge protection, advanced monitoring features, and a user-friendly digital display. It provides real-time information about power quality and voltage, ensuring the safety of your RV’s electrical system.
- CARMTEK RV Surge Protector w/ Waterproof Cover RMSG30: The RMSG30 absorbs high-voltage spikes up to 2100 Joules and protects the RV electrical equipment from dangerous high/low voltage, electrical disturbances, and sudden power surges due to thunderstorms. This unit is popular among RVers who frequently encounter campground power issues.
- Camco Power Grip RV Protector 55301: The Camco Power Grip is a compact and portable 30 amp surge protector. It offers surge protection, open neutral and other wiring issues, reverse polarity detection, and an integrated circuit analyzer to ensure safe and reliable power for your RV.
- Southwire Surge Guard 34930: This surge protector features advanced surge protection, open neutral protection, and accidental 240V protection. It offers a clear LED display, indicating power status and error codes for quick troubleshooting.
- Technology Research 44260 Surge Guard: The Technology Research 44260 Surge Guard provides robust surge protection and advanced diagnostic features. It features a digital display that shows incoming voltage, amp draw, and fault conditions, ensuring the safety of your RV’s electrical system.
These top-rated 30-AMP surge protectors offer different features and price points, allowing you to select the one that suits your requirements and provides reliable protection for your RV’s electrical system.
50-Amp Surge Protectors
- Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X: The Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X is a highly recommended 50-amp surge protector. It offers robust surge protection, advanced monitoring features, and a user-friendly digital display. With its high joule rating, it safeguards your RV’s electrical system against power spikes and voltage irregularities.
- Southwire Surge Gaurd 34950: The Surge Guard 34950 is a reliable and durable 50-amp surge protector. It provides comprehensive surge protection, open-ground protection, and reverse polarity detection. Its compact design and sturdy construction make it a popular choice among RV owners.
- Progressive Industries SSP-50XL: The Progressive Industries SSP-50XL is a portable 50-amp surge protector designed for convenience and protection on the go. It offers advanced surge protection, open neutral detection, and a weather-resistant casing. This compact and lightweight unit is ideal for frequent travelers.
- Technology Research 44270 Surge Guard: The Technology Research 44270 Surge Guard is a feature-packed 50-amp surge protector. It provides advanced surge protection, a high joule rating, and a built-in digital display for monitoring voltage and amp draw. Its robust construction ensures long-lasting performance.
- CARMTEK RV Surge Protector w/ Waterproof Cover RMSG50: The RMSG50 absorbs high-voltage spikes up to 4200 Joules and dangerous low-voltage protection, electrical disturbances, and sudden power surges due to thunderstorms. This unit is popular among RVers who frequently encounter campground power issues.
When choosing a 50-amp surge protector, consider factors such as surge protection capabilities, advanced monitoring features, portability, and ease of use. These top-rated surge protectors offer a range of features to suit different needs and provide reliable protection for your RV’s electrical system.
Step-by-Step Instructions For Connecting A RV Surge Protector
- Gather the necessary equipment: Before you begin, make sure you have the RV surge protector, and a power cord suitable for your RV’s electrical system (30 AMP or 50 AMP).
- Turn off the power supply (aka breakers) on the pedestal. This step is crucial for safety when connecting to shore power.
- Connect the surge protector to the power pedestal. Turn on the power/breaker and check the readout or lights on your surge protector. If all readings are good move on to the the next step.
- Turn the breaker/pedestal power off before connecting the rv power cord.
- Plug your power cord into your surge protector.
- Take your power cord and connect it to the RV.
- You can now turn the power back on at the pedestal.
- Please check the readout on your surge protector to verify that everything is within acceptable ranges.
Proper Maintenance and Care for Surge Protectors
To keep your RV surge protector in top condition, follow these maintenance tips:
- Periodic inspections: Regularly inspect the surge protector for any signs of damage, such as frayed wires or cracks in the housing. If you notice any issues, replace the surge protector immediately.
- Cleaning: Clean the surge protector using a soft cloth. Avoid using harsh chemicals that may damage the device. Ensure the unit is completely dry before reconnecting it.
- Storage recommendations: When not in use, store the surge protector in a dry place away from extreme temperatures and direct sunlight. Consider using a protective case or bag to prevent dust and debris accumulation.
- Regular testing: It’s a good practice to test the surge protector periodically to ensure it is still providing the necessary protection. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for conducting tests and troubleshooting any issues.
Final Thoughts On The Best RV Surge Protectors
Investing in a high-quality RV surge protector is essential to safeguarding your RV’s electrical management system from potentially damaging power surges.
Remember to consider key features such as voltage protection, surge suppression rating, and weatherproofing when selecting a surge protector. The top 10 options listed in this article provide excellent protection and durability.
Follow the installation steps carefully to ensure proper functionality, and don’t forget to perform periodic maintenance and inspections to keep your surge protector in optimal condition.
By prioritizing the protection of your RV’s power system, you can enjoy worry-free adventures on the road, knowing that your valuable equipment is safeguarded against power fluctuations and potential damage.
Choose a reliable RV surge protector today and embark on your journey with peace of mind.
Check Out These Other Posts